Skip to main content

Magazine project planning-research #4 People magazine

Today, I chose to research another People magazine issue, from December 2016. The cover features a portrait of Jackie Kennedy with John F. Kennedy is the background. The title of "People" is in bold pink letters and the word goes behind Jackie's head, but is still able to be read. The cover also reads, "Kennedy secrets: what Jackie really knew." Moreover, the cover includes multiple snapshots of other celebrities such as Florence Henderson and Kim and Kanye West, with tidbits of the article's information located beneath the picture. The font of the text on the cover is the same overall, but varies in size, boldness, and color. This magazine issue contains several different articles which revolve around celebrities and fashion. for example, there's an article about a celebrity getting married, but also a section about style trends with examples. There are multiple different types of advertisements. For example, there is an ad from Target showing their Christmas deals on toys, as well as an advertisement from L'Oreal Paris showing their new foundation, and even an ad from Honda showing their upcoming car model. The advertisements are mostly located near the beginning of the magazine, as well as the end, with a few near the main articles, probably to ensure they are viewed. The articles contain paparazzi photos of celebrities if the article is supposed to be 'dramatic', while the more fashion-influenced articles contain pictures of models or celebrities wearing outfits in a full-body shot to display what they're wearing. The distribution number for this issue was 3,750,548 copies. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Superbowl Ads: Product, Audience, and Advertising Techniques

The first commercial we viewed, was an ad for the NFL. The target audience would be predominantly men since that makes up the majority of their regular viewers. However, the commercial had two famous football players doing the dance with the song from the movie, Dirty  Dancing.  Therefore, this would attract more female viewers as this was seen as a chick-flick years ago, thus drawing in an adult female audience. Some techniques used, included having celebrities in the commercial as well as using humor to entice the audience. The next commercial was an ad for the Winter Olympics. This ad's target audience would be parents, kids involved in sports, and a female audience. This is because the techniques used included showing old home videos of Lindsey Vonn, which would strike a sentimental chord with parents, as well as relate to kids. The ad also utilized the power of emotions, which caused the viewer to feel inspired, empowered, and proud, thus prompting them to hopefully tune-...

Project Selection-Magazine

When considering print journalism, there are certain aspects that entice me the most. Based on the previous examples of print journalism that I have been exposed to, I am mostly attracted to the magazines, due to their range of creativity. Although print journalism based off of news and current events interests me, I believe where I live is more so focused on the arts, which will allow me to explore my creativity. Ever since I was a child, I have thoroughly enjoyed doing photography. Therefore, I believe the magazine will be a good fit for me, since I will be able to put my photographs to good use. However, this project may be challenging, if I fail to brainstorm creative ideas for articles to match my photo-shoots.  Furthermore, photography is widely based on lighting, so timing the photo-shoots to where the lighting fits the mood or theme I'm going for may be a challenge. Moreover, finding locations that will allow me to take pictures free of charge may also pose to be challengin...